Cannot build packages

Hi everyone,
I’m new to the Julia World and I´m trying to setup de Julia environment. When I run the line

github_project("QuantEcon/quantecon-notebooks-julia", version = "0.5.0", instantiate = true)

everythin is ok until the system starts building the packages: GR, CMake, NLopt and VegaLite. After that there are huge sequence of errors.

I´m using this configuration:

Julia Version 1.3.1
Commit 2d5741174c (2019-12-30 21:36 UTC)
Platform Info:
OS: Windows (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
LIBM: libopenlibm
LLVM: libLLVM-6.0.1 (ORCJIT, skylake)

Doesn’t sound like it is a nonstandard setup, so it should be flawless. Did you just do a normal Julia installation? Can you post some of the errors?

I did a normal installation of Julia nad run Julia as administrator. This is the first error message:

Building GR ──────────────→ C:\Users\Mack\.julia\packages\GR\ZI5OE\deps\build.log
┌ Error: Error building GR:
│ [ Info: Downloading pre-compiled GR 0.41.0 Windows binary
│ ERROR: LoadError: IOError: could not spawn 'C:\Users\Mack\Julia\Julia-1.3.1\bin/7z' x downloads/gr-0.41.0-Windows-x86_64.tar.gz -y: no such file or directory (ENOENT)
│ Stacktrace:
│ [1] _spawn_primitive(::String, ::Cmd, ::Array{Any,1}) at .\process.jl:99
│ [2] setup_stdios(::Base.var"#554#555"{Cmd}, ::Array{Any,1}) at .\process.jl:112
│ [3] success(::Cmd) at .\process.jl:111
│ [4] top-level scope at C:\Users\Mack.julia\packages\GR\ZI5OE\deps\build.jl:119
│ [5] include at .\boot.jl:328 [inlined]
│ [6] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1105
│ [7] include(::Module, ::String) at .\Base.jl:31
│ [8] include(::String) at .\client.jl:424
│ [9] top-level scope at none:5
│ in expression starting at C:\Users\Mack.julia\packages\GR\ZI5OE\deps\build.jl:68
└ @ Pkg.Operations D:\buildbot\worker\package_win64\build\usr\share\julia\stdlib\v1.3\Pkg\src\backwards_compatible_isolation.jl:649

It looks to me like you changed the installation directory from the default one that Julia suggests.

My suggestion is to uninstall what you have done and accept the defaults they give you (which is in some weird appdata folder which is the standard place people install on windows these days) . It would eliminate possible permissions issues.

To be more precise: if this is necessary, then you should definetely reinstall using default settings. Figuring out permissions is not worth your trouble

I’ve tried what you suggest but the problem persist.

That is not the standard location, which would usually have AppData in it. For example, mine is C:\Users\jlperla\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia\Julia-1.4.0\

Since this isn’t really quantecon related, my suggestion is to be very careful to uninstall all old versions of julia, delete C:\Users\Mack\Julia and anything under it for good measure, delete the whole C:\Users\Mack\.julia folder,

Then try to reinstall following the default julia path and see if it works. Install of installing the quantecon notebooks, first try with just ] add Plots and try something simple. If that doesn’t work, then post on the quantecon discourse with the error messages to get help.

Good luck!

I second to this issue, as I had an exact same problem for the exact same packages. I also had a normal installation. They get fixed, though, if you delete/uninstall the packages and reinstall them separately.
] update "package"
] build "package"
worked for me.