Translating Python lectures to Julia

Hi,

First of all, I want to congratulate everyone working on this project for a job well done. The lectures are incredibly well thought out and I use them frequently for my classes.

I remember reading somewhere (but I can’t remember where) that translation of the lectures from Python to Julia was taking place. There was also a list of potential topics that needed to be translated. I am proficient in programming in both Python and Julia and I was wondering if there is some way in which I could help? I have learned a great deal from the lectures and I would like to contribute, even if it is only in a small way.

Would it be more helpful to post translations / ports as notebooks? Or is there indeed a need for some of the lectures to be translated?

I see there is some progress in putting everything in the Jupyter Book format, so I am assuming that is where most of the development time is being spent at present.

Dawie

Hi @dvanlill,

Absolutely :-)

You might have seen that the Julia lectures have just been updated and shifted to Jupyter Book, mainly thanks to the heroic efforts of @jlperla and @mamckay . This upgrade makes them much easier to edit and contribute to. The GH repo is here and the whole thing is public. PRs are most welcome :-).

In terms of content, there are lots of lectures on the Python side that aren’t available in Julia. For example, “Dynamics in One Dimension”, “AR(1) Processes” and “Inventory Dynamics,” to name a few.

A good idea is to open an issue on the Julia side, stating that you’re interested in porting a particular lecture or series of lectures. Then we can given feedback. @mamckay is our Jupyter Book guru, so he can help with technical details.

If you don’t mind, I’d like to get in touch by email as well, since I’m interested in your research.

thanks @john.stachurski and @dvanlill.

Just thought I would post a link for main jupyter-book documentation as the publishing platform too.

https://jupyterbook.org/intro.html

But more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you @dvanlill and also thanks for the PR on the readme. Small changes really do help!

I hope the instructions actually worked for setting things up. Any help is appreciated for porting python notebooks over, of course. Since the jupyterbook format is so easy to work, it may not even be so much work (and the organization of the lectures can be thought through after they are generated).

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have been watching the evolution toward the new Jupyter Book format with great interest. I started to write some notes for Data Science in Julia using the format, but I haven’t made much progress on the material. Teaching has taken a substantial amount of my time. In my limited experience though, I did find Jupyter Books easy to create. I almost had no troubleshooting on my side, which speaks volumes!

I will take a look at the potential lectures that can be translated and then open an issue with a list of topics. It would be great if someone could give the list a glance and perhaps assign priorities. I will most likely start with the easier topics just to ease into the process. However, it might be good to see what the team regards as the most pressing.

@jlperla I have read most of the software engineering lectures and will go over the Julia style guides more carefully. Is there any form of QuantEcon style guide? I want to avoid potential bad habits that I may have developed.

I will definitely be in touch if things go off the rails! However, my experience with the Jupyter Book project has been really positive and the process is quite intuitive.

No problem, I want to start getting more involved in open source projects. It would be hypocritical of me to praise the virtues of open source and then sit back and let everyone else do the work.

The instructions worked well, but I haven’t tested out the Windows setup. I am running Manjaro, so everything was pretty straightforward.